Dear Data Subject,
cookies are small text files sent by the site to the Data Subject’s terminal (usually the browser), where they are stored and then transmitted back to the site the next time the same User visits. A cookie cannot retrieve any other data from the User’s hard drive or transmit computer viruses or acquire e-mail addresses. Each cookie is unique to the User’s web browser. Some of the functions of cookies may be delegated to other technologies. In this document the term ‘cookies’ is intended to refer both to cookies, properly so called, and to all similar technologies. By means of cookies, it is possible to record information related to preferences, such as pages browsed or file downloads from the site or other similar actions performed while browsing the site.
FIRST- OR THIRD-PARTY COOKIES
Cookies can be first-party or third-party cookies:
– « First Party » means cookies developed by the Site Owner itself,
– « Third Party » means cookies developed by Third Parties than the Site Owner.
NATURE OF COOKIES
Relative to the nature of cookies, there are different types:
Technical cookies are those used for the sole purpose of « carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network, or to the extent strictly necessary for the provider of an information society service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user to provide such service » (see Article 122(1) of the Code). They are not used for any further purposes and are normally installed directly by the website owner or operator.
They can be divided into:
- – navigation or session cookies, which ensure normal navigation and use of the website (allowing, for example, to make a purchase or authenticate to access restricted areas); they are in fact necessary for the proper functioning of the site;
- – analytics cookies, assimilated to technical cookies where used directly by the site operator to collect information, in aggregate form, on the number of users and how they visit the site itself, in order to improve the performance of the site;
- – functionality cookies, which allow the User to navigate according to a set of criteria selected (for example, products selected for purchase, language, etc.) in order to improve the service rendered to the same. Users’ prior consent is not required for the installation of such cookies.
Profiling cookies are aimed at creating profiles related to the User and are used in order to send advertising messages in line with the preferences expressed by the same in the context of web browsing.
The consent of the Data Subject is required for the use of profiling cookies.
According to Order No. 229 of May 8, 2014, the User must be able to authorize or deny consent to the installation of profiling cookies if they are present.
In the case of third-party cookies, the site does not have direct control over individual cookies and cannot control them (it can neither install them directly nor delete them). However, the User can manage these cookies through the browser settings (follow the instructions below), or the sites indicated in the « Cookie Management » section.
The User is therefore invited to check the relevant cookie policies on the Third Party sites.
The updated list of cookies in use on the platform can always be accessed through the following process:
- Click on the lock icon next to the url;
- Select the « Cookies » button;
- View the various categories and subcategories of cookies in use;
- Opt « block » or « remove » from each unwanted cookie.
Cookies have a lifetime dictated by the expiration date (or a specific action such as closing the browser) set when they are installed.
Cookies can be:
- temporary or session « session cookies »: these are used to store temporary information, allow you to link actions performed during a specific session, and are removed from your computer when you close your browser;
- permanent « persistent cookies »: these are used to store information, such as the login name and password, so that the user does not have to type them in again each time he or she visits a specific site. These remain stored on the computer even after closing the browser.
The so-called session cookies, once the connection to this website is terminated, are not stored. The computer systems used for this website use temporary cookies and permanent cookies.
Users can disable cookies on websites by downloading special software such as Ghostery (https://www.ghostery.com) for your browser and disabling the use of individual cookies. Or they can activate the « anonymous browsing » mode – this is a function that allows you to browse without leaving a trace of your browsing data in your browser. This function only allows them not to keep their browsing data in the browser.
Alternatively, they will be able to disable/delete cookies by accessing the configuration panel of your browser.
ACCEPTANCE AND WAIVER OF COOKIES